Once you are accepted to SHSU, you will receive an activation email at the email address you provided on your application. Just follow the link in the email to complete your computer account activation. If you haven’t received an email and you are accepted, you can request the email to be re-sent. Just go to MySam or SamWeb and select ‘No Username?’ below the log in. You will be prompted to enter your email address that you provided on your application. Once you hit ‘Submit’ you will receive an email at the appropriate email address. If you are having issues locating the activation email, please check your Junk Mail. If you have any issues activating your account, please contact us at 936-294-1950.
It is important to keep a current, secure password for your account. Computer account passwords are valid for 180 days. Change your password before the 180 days pass to retain access to your account. You can change your password by following any of the methods below:
- On a campus PC, by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and then Change Password
- On a Macintosh, by selecting Apple, System Preferences, Accounts, clicking on your name, then Change Password
- Using Outlook Web Access, click Options, then Change Password
- Using SamWeb, click IT@Sam, then Account Password Change
- Log on to remote.shsu.edu with your username and password through the Remote Desktop Connection on your computer. You will be prompted to change your password.
- Note: If your password has already expired, open your web browser and enter your username and expired password at Outlook Web Access. You will be prompted to change your password
Your off-site e-mail address will enable you to take advantage of new self-service tools such as resetting your password when it expires, so it’s always important to have a current e-mail address on file. Follow the steps below if you need to update your off-site e-mail
Faculty and Staff:
- Log into My Sam Portal (mysam.shsu.edu) and look for the “Manage My Profile” channel on the right-side of the page.
- Click the “Manage Off-site Contact Information” Link
- Log into Sam Web
- Click the “IT@Sam” link in the left navigation menu
- Click the “Off-site Contact Preferences” link in the left navigation menu
October is Cyber Security Awareness month and IT@Sam is proud to announce that we are hosting a Cyber Security Poster Contest.
We are also issuing a call for judges. If you have experience dealing with cyber security issues, technology issues, or are just interested in becoming a judge please contact Lucrecia Chandler at UCS_LKN@shsu.edu
2011 Poster Contest Entry Requirements
Poster submissions should cover a cyber security problem and specific remedies or actions to combat that problem.
- This contest is open to all currently enrolled students at Sam Houston State University.
- Students can submit more than one poster.
- Students must be willing to make minor adjustments if necessary based on feedback from judging committee.
- Resolution must be sufficient to be printed at a max of 24”x36” without scaling (300dpi minimum).
- Submissions must be in .jpg format.
- Content should be targeted for a large audience that will include fellow students along with faculty and staff.
- Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar must be used.
- All content must be original and generic. No brands, vendors, etc.
- A long shelf life is desirable.
- Professional (or paid) assistance is not allowed.
- Sponsorship is not allowed.
- This contest is to showcase your work to the higher education community. We will license all entries under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/).
- Submissions will be featured on the IT@Sam Service Desk Blog, Twitter feed, and Facebook pages along with various Cyber Security related presentations.
There will be prizes for the top three posters and an Honorable mention for the fourth place winner. Please stay tuned for an update in a future IT@Sam Newsletter issue about the prizes.
Did you know that you can create an alias for your SHSU computer account? In order to add the alias, sign into SamWeb, select the IT@Sam tab, and click Account Alias Request. Here you can add an alias to your account, deactivate any other aliases you might have, and select which alias you would like to have as your primary. You can also view any deactivated aliases you have on file. Students can have one alias at a time, while faculty and staff can have up to three.
Students who plan to register for the Fall 2011 term can view the advance registration schedule at: http://www.shsu.edu/~reg_www/schedule/RegistrationSchedule_Fall2011.html
Before you can register for classes, you must meet the registration requirements. Registration requirements at SHSU are:
- Student must have a 2.5 GPA with SHSU in order to register. If this is your first semester at SHSU then you do not have a SHSU GPA (if no SHSU GPA exists or is below 2.5 then the student is required to be advised at the SAM Center.)
- 90+ hours completed (undergrads only) – must be advised for graduation prior to registration at the SAM Center.
- Suspension students must see their dean for a suspension lift and also be advised at the SAM Center.
New! Students will now register for classes through the My Sam portal, instead of through SamWeb. Visit the Office of the Registrar’s How to Register webpage for instructional videos and other helpful information.
The Helpdesk is now located downstairs in AB1 145. You may access the Helpdesk through the double doors located on the South side of AB1.
Please be aware that we do not create secondary profiles under your account, as that goes against are Acceptable Use Policy. We also no longer create generic accounts for multiple clients to use. These accounts are considered a security risk. Please overlook our Acceptable Use Policy for more information. Please contact the Helpdesk at 936-294-1950 if you have any questions or concerns.