We’ve noticed that several of our Mac users are unable to send email off campus. If you are one of those having this problem you’ll want to verify your outgoing mail server settings.
SSL must be turned on with password authentication.
Port must be set as 465.
Mac Mail Users
- Under the Mail menu, select Preferences…
- Click on your email account
- Click on the drop-down box next to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) and select “Edit Server List“.
- Ensure that the smtp server is highlighted and then click on the Advanced button.
- Check the following options:
- Use default ports
- Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- choose “Password” as the Authentication.
- Under the Tools menu, select Account Settings…
- Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP)
- Click on Edit
- Enter 465 as the port
- Put a check mark next to “Use name and password“
- Click on the SSL radio button.
Always remember that you can use the “Exchange Mail” link on the main SHSU web page to send and receive email if you ever run into a problem with your chosen email client.
Please call us (x4-1950) or place a workorder if you need assistance in checking your settings.