A recent review of SHSU’s technology purchasing process by IT@Sam illustrated ways to increase the efficiency by changing which items need IT@Sam review in order to be purchased.
By empowering the individual departments across campus to make the majority of these purchases without needing the involvmenet of IT@Sam, SHSU employees will receive their technology purchases in a more timely manner, while freeing up our support staff for other tasks.
“In an effort to provide excellent customer service we have simplified the technology purchasing process to ensure fast service times while still fulfilling our adherence to the Texas State University System (TSUS) policy on technology acquisition.” said IT@Sam Client Services Director, Elisa Crossland.
The following list of items can be ordered without needing the involvement of IT@Sam:
- Digital cameras and webcams
- Memory cards for digital cameras
- Audio recorders
- DVD/Blu-Ray players
- Gaming devices – Wii, Xbox, Playstation, etc.
- Gifts or awards
- Copiers (which do not require a network connection ie. network scanning or emailing)
- Carrying cases, bags or other protective casings for mobile devices.
- USB flash/thumb/jump drives not requiring a power supply (external hard drives typically require a power supply, and are NOT approved for purchase without review)
To purchase any other type of technology to include but not limited to the following, please place a work order with IT@Sam so that we may assist you in choosing the products that will work best in the SHSU environment:
- Computers and Laptops
- Printers and Scanners
- Fax Machines
- Televisions for Digital Signage
If you are unsure about your purchase please don’t hesitate to contact the Service Desk at x4-HELP (4-4357).