Next week has been designated by the governor as Severe Weather Awareness Week. The following information may be helpful to you in the event of an emergency.
Sam Houston State University may issue a “Shelter in Place” notification when circumstances dictate that the most prudent course of action is to seek shelter within a building, and what areas within a building provide the most protection once inside. In the event of an active shooter, severe weather warning or hazardous materials release we recommend the following actions, which we define in our Emergency Operations Plan as “Shelter in Place”.
- If you are outside immediately seek shelter within the nearest building.
- If you are inside of a building, remain inside, and move to the most central and secure portion of the building away from windows if possible.
- Move to the lowest floor of the building if possible.
- Seek shelter under a sturdy table or desk and use your arms to protect your head and neck.
- Put as many walls between you and the outside of the building.