To SHSU Faculty and Staff
IT@Sam is excited to announce that on Friday, February 1st, we will be implementing Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE), which will replace our in-house e-mail filtering service. The FOPE service will incorporate multiple filters to actively help protect SHSU’s inbound and outbound e-mails from spam, viruses, phishing scams, and e-mail policy violations.
What this means to SHSU students, faculty, and staff:
- 1. Faster E-mail delivery – SHSU recipients should get e-mail delivered from an external server to their inbox faster. Average delivery should be 80% faster than our current rate of outside mail delivery.
- 2. Outbound e-mail protection as well as inbound – All e-mail will be scanned by FOPE and any e-mail suspected of being spam (such as phishing e-mails sent from compromised accounts) will be sent through a separate pool of FOPE servers.
- 3. Transparent Protection to Users – E-mails will no longer be tagged with indicators for spam, phishing, fraud, and virus in the subject line, as this was a function of the SHSU Edge mail system.
- 4. Users can maintain a personal “Safe Senders” list – E-mails addressed to you from a sender on your “Safe Senders” list will bypass the FOPE anti-spam filters, providing quicker delivery of messages. Each user will be able to add external e-mail addresses to a “Safe Senders” list, so you will be guaranteed to receive e-mails from these senders.
- 5. Reporting Spam – You will now be able to report spam messages, which make it past the filters, by sending the complete message as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.