The days are still long and the heat index is still sizzling hot, but the new school year is here!
Getting in gear for a new semester is a change from the somewhat slower pace of summer, but we’re excited to get fall going! We’ve got a few techie “back-to-school” tips for you as you go about your first few weeks of the semester.
• Get to know where the computer labs are and what times they’re available. We’ve got it all on the computer labs webpage.
• We’ve got the perfect tool to help with those late night work sessions—Remote Desktop Connection! Whether you have a PC or Mac, accessing your S: Drive files from the comfort of your living space is no problem. Our technology tutorial can help you log in to your SHSU profile. You’ll have access to Microsoft Office as well from RDC.
• Remember, you have 500mb of space on your S:Drive.
Faculty and staff:
• Make sure your computer has all the software you need-check out the SHSU installation menu for pre-approved software you can download instantly.
• Updates to the software you use on a daily basis is highly possible while you’ve been in and out of the office. Make sure you’re familiar with the changes.
• Speaking of software, maybe your department has new software needs. We can help! The spring software request deadline is October 1. Our software request guidelines are available for you online.
• Don’t forget our technology training schedule in the IT@Sam Newsletter! We’re always adding and updating courses.
• Last, but not least, take some time here and there to brush up on some training to start the year off right. Skillsoft online courses are available through Talent Management.
We want you to start the year off productively! If you have any questions about your technology resources, contact the Service Desk at 936-294-1950 (students) or 4-HELP (faculty/staff). We’re in Academic Building 1, room 145 if you’d like to stop by during office hours.